Friday, January 13, 2012

Laurie Anderson...and the art of story telling.....

I went to see Laurie Anderson perform last night at The Grand theatre....wow
She is the ultimate story teller.
I came away with so much inspiration, insight and well being.
The first thing I noticed when she came on stage was her hair.
It is always about the hair....not sure why
The length was longer than I thought it was going to be and very messy....like she just woke up.
I loved it.
It reminded me of the first time I met Jesso Reno. I stood behind him at the Ayden Gallery in Vancouver watching him paint....and I was fascinated with his hair, which was of naturally formed dreads.
Perhaps this type of hair represents a free spirit?
anyway...once I got past the hair, Laurie's music took me away to another planet....and then her words locked me into a trance.
Her story telling was captivating.....impeccable timing....and purposeful enunciation.
I was drinking it all in.
At one point I wondered if being empathic allowed me to experience this on a deeper level.
I felt like I was saturated on a cellular level.....I didn't want to leave.
It was like floating in a warm liquid.
One of the highlights was when she used her synthesizer(?) to alter her voice.
(I put that on my to-do list for my next family gathering when I want to tell a story!)
It was beautiful to witness this creative being, Laurie Anderson, doing what she does best...and at the age of 63, it was a gift and a pleasure to receive her performance....because she doesn't have to do that and could be at home snuggled in her warm bed (which is what I would probably be doing)
Thank you Laurie Anderson for your gift and willing to share it with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment